HEALTH & FITNESS ARTICLES
Abs Exercise Tips
It’s probably the most common question I get as a personal trainer. “How do I reduce my belly fat?” The answer is easy – reduce your overall body fat and the belly fat will go away. This isn’t always the answer people want to hear, but it’s the truth. There is no exercise or set of exercises that will magically make your belly fat evaporate; no gizmo, gadget, or magic wand you see on late night TV will miraculously give you a slim flat tummy.
So, what can you do? Here are five steps you can follow to get rid of that belly fat and get the flat toned abs you’ve been longing for.
1. Reduce your consumption of carbohydrates and sweets. Carbs and sweets are one of the fastest ways to increase your body’s fat reserves, which is the exact opposite of what you’re trying to do. That little bit of fat on your tummy (and the love handles on either side) are your body’s reserve fuel tank. The object here is to have your body eliminate your reserves, and that means eliminating the fuel it uses to fill the fat cells on your belly: sweets and carbs.
2. Portion control is critical in any fat reducing endeavor. The only way to eliminate belly fat is to burn more calories than you consume: it’s just that simple! By eating smaller and more frequent meals you can not only reduce your caloric intake, but also boost your metabolism. Higher metabolism gives you more energy, and causes your resting caloric burn rate to increase. You’ll burn more calories just sitting still!
3. Building core skeletal muscles further increases your metabolism. It takes a lot of energy to keep lean muscle mass maintained, and takes nothing to maintain body fat. You’ll end up with more energy, which makes it easier to burn fat, and by strengthening your core you’ll have a nice six pack waiting for you when you burn off the last of that annoying belly fat.
4. Cardio! People often loathe cardio workouts, but they are the core of any fat loss regimen. Don’t fret, you don’t have to chain yourself to the stairmaster or spend hours running miles and miles through your neighborhood. Cardiovascular workouts can be enjoyable. Find a sport or activity that you enjoy and practice it regularly.
5. Keep the end in mind. These five simple rules are easier said than done. It does take a significant amount of will power to stay away from starches and sweets, get up off couch, and get active on a regular basis. Write down your goal, and be specific. If your goal is to fit back into your 32″ pants, or to get your body fat down to 15% for swimsuit season, you need to be specific when you set it.
This article was provided by Thurmond Fitness
For more information on Thurmond Fitness, check out their full profile here.